Originally posted by CecilOne
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
... snip ... PS
1. According to 9-3-3 I would have a drop ball for the restart, not an IFK, since I would rule that no team had clear possession once A1 went down.
I would rule that no team had clear possession if no team had clear possession, or that one team had clear possession if that team had clear possession.
Oops sorry, I believe I misread the original post. I quickly scanned and thought I saw that A1 had control of the ball near the touchline and that this player then twisted an ankle and went down.
If that were the case and no one else was around, I would have a drop ball due to no possession. Of course, if another player on Team A has possession at the time A1 gets hurt then the correct restart is an IFK.
Why does it matter if it's another player or the one who had control at the moment of the injury?
It matters because you are looking at possession when the referee stops play, not at the moment of the injury.
The referee is not stopping the game precisely at the moment of the injury, but rather stops the game after it occurs in order to allow the player to receive medical attention and for his removal from the field.

Since, clear possession of the ball needs to be judged at the time the referee stops play, I can't see ruling that a player who is down and hurt has possession of the ball.