View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

dhodges
Have to look at advantage/disadvantage on that call or no call, as well as severity of the contact. If B1 plows over A2 and gains a defensive advantage, should be a pushing foul in NFHS and perhaps a charge in NCAA (not clear as to context in NCAA rule that Mick gave). If A2 manages to prevent B1 from getting through, then B1 gained no advantage, so you wouldn't call it unless he has a particularly hard foul that you feel needs to be called. Incidental contact.

Dan,
I have already agreed that not all PCs are charges, and not all charges are PCs, especially in the NCAA. All I was addressing was 1) your statement that defenders can commit charging (they cannot, at least in NF) and 2) your example of a non-charge player control foul. To commit a charge, you must either have the ball or have recently released the ball with momentum carrying you into the defender, so defenders and offensive players moving off the ball cannot commit a charge. However, to be clear, grabbing with the off hand would be a hold and PC but not a charge, and pushing or striking the other player other than in the torso is also not a charge but is PC. By NF rules, 99% of calls that are defined as charging are also PC, and probably over 95% of what is called as PC is a charge. So I was merely trying to show why these terms are used so interchangeably, and in most cases, correctly so.