View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 08, 2004, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
As Peter said, Pro schools do teach that when a B/R fails to touch a base in passing (with both feet) he should be signaled safe simply because he beat the play. JEA teaches that mechanic and further says that it should be used at all other bases, including home, on FORCE plays only.

When a runner fails to touch any forced base in passing, he has done two things. He is assumed to have touched that base and subsequently has removed the force, PENDING APPEAL.

At first it is a whole different ballgame due to the fact that first is not a forced base.

When the B/R runs THROUGH first base and fails to touch it he must be appealed. Like at home plate, a subsequent tag of the runner is an obvious appeal and once the appeal is satisfied for the third out any runs that have previously scored on the play are disallowed due to the fact that the B/R was retired before TOUCHING first base.

If the B/R fails to touch first and ROUNDS it he has removed the "TOUCH" and a tag of the runner would not be an appeal but just an off base out and any runs that have scored are allowed. However, if that same runner leaves the immediate area he can then be appealed under OBR 7.10(d) extended, to nullify any runs that have previously scored on the play. OBR 7.10(b) cannot be used until the runner reaches his advance base. G.

[Edited by Gee on Aug 8th, 2004 at 06:19 PM]
Gee, you had me agreeing there right up to the last paragraph.

Rule or ruling for "If the B/R fails to touch first and ROUNDS it he has removed the "TOUCH" ... and any runs that have scored are allowed", please?

Did you mean 7.10(c): ["[BR] overruns ... 1stB and fails to return immediately ..."]? O/W what does missing home have to do with anything here?

And, if I am understanding you correctly, by what ruling or logic does 7.10(b) not mean exactly what it says: "[Any runner is out on appeal when ...] with the ball in play, while advancing or returning to a base, he fails to touch each base in order before he, or the missed base, is tagged"? As I read that rule: if BR misses 1st and, w/BR halfway to 2nd - F3 tags the base while holding the ball and appeals that the runner missed, then BR is called out on the appeal. If there is AO/R to the contrary, I have never seen it.

--Carter