View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by UmpJordan
Can you show me reference to a rule because other senior umpires have told me that he should be called out immediately
Well they are idiots. I don't have a rule book in front of me so I can't give you a reference. But think of it this way. R1, batter hits to F9. R1 advances to third, but steps over second base on his way by. F9 throws ball in to F6, who is standing on second base. Would you call R1 out immediatly in this situation?
There is clearly a difference between the play you describe and the one I am asking about. In the play you describe there is no play being made on the runner at the time that he misses the base. In my play there is a play being made on the runner at that time. If the runner was tagged after missing the base in your play then he is clearly out for being tagged off the base. I believe that on a force play at first base if he is tagged after not having touched the base it would be an appeal play and clearly would be out. My question is if the umpire should wait for an appeal to call him out for missing first base or does a force play by definition require the runner to touch the base to be called safe?