Thread: Stealing signs
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'd tell you to get off the field and not be picky about rules that are customarily ignored.

I have to admit -- this board has gotten incredibly tiresome the past few weeks. I think I'm going to disappear for a while.
Rich, I'm sorry, but you have contradicted yourself.

Let me sum up what has gone on in this thread so it is easier for everyone to understand.

chuckfan1 says in one of his games, the 1st base coach was moving out of the coach's box to steal the catcher's sigsns. He said he did nothing to stop him.

I say that chuckfan1 did the right thing by allowin him to steal the signs.

Atlblue says that he would make the coach stay in the box because he is blocking his view.

I say thathe umpire's his view.

Atl blue says that he is practicing good game management by keeping him in the box. If the coach can steal signs from the box that is ok, but he can't do it from outside the box.

I say that you should not try to stop a team from stealing signs. I also say you are going to get yourself in trobuble telling the coach of one team to stay in the box, but not the other. If I was manager of the team stealing signs, I would go up to the umpire and ask that both coaches be treated equally.

Rich says if he were umpiring the game, and I came up to him to ask that both teams be treated equally, he would ask me what I am doing out of my dugout, then eject me.

I point out rule 4.05, and indicate that it makes no sense to eject me for asking for this rule to be enforced evenly.

Rich replies "I'd tell you to get off the field and not be picky about rules that are customarily ignored."

I agree with Rich that this rule is normally ignored, and normally I would not ask for you to enforce this rule. But you have takeen it into your own hands (without the opposing manager complaning) to enforce a rule which you state is customaarilly ignored. So me, the manager, comes to you and asks you to enforce rule 4.05 against both teams. And you are going to tell me not to be picky? I do not think it is picky to ask that both teams be treated equally.

Rich and Atlblue, do you see what you have done? You attempt to prevent a team from stealing signs. You decided to enforce rule 4.05 with out anyone complaining first. And then you refuse to enforce rule 4.05 equally against both teams. That is some quality officiating.