Thread: Force Play?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
"Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules". The fact that every situation is not covered is exactly what 9.01(c) is for.
Yep I know, it is a great rule, but in this case, THE DEFINITION OF A FORCE OUT IS SPECIFICALLY COVERED IN THESE RULES.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
"Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules". The fact that every situation is not covered is exactly what 9.01(c) is for. A BR retreating toward home after touching 1b IS a point not covered. The fact that a BR is not officially considered "forced" by definition of force is not covered, but IMO a BR is forced at 1b. There may be 457 "errors" in the MLB rules, as some here have claimed, and if so this has got to be one of them.
So does this mean I can call a balk for F1 taking signs while off the ruber. As long as we are making up rules, you might as well call it a two base award. A penalty for this infraction is not specifically covered, so does that mean I can make up anything I want it to be? Hey that's what 9.01(c) is for.
The ruling I made had some precedent (legal term lawyers like to use), in that a runner retreating from any other base would reinstate the force. Make up anything you like, but that is not what 9.01(c) is for.

A BR hits the ball in RF with runner on 3B. He advances to 1b while runner scores, and for some unknown reason retreats to home picks up his bat and gets in the batter's box. (If we are going to debate situations that will never happen we may as well go all the way with this).
So what is your call if defense throws the ball to 1B? You can't call him safe, and direct him to go to 1b, while he is standing in the batter's box, or can you?. I can't use 9.01(c) for this?