View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with your philosophy on sportsmanship and taunting, and would never allow my team to engage in such behavior. I am also troubled by the lack of sportsmanship displayed in many games. And not having been at the game rainmaker cites, I will not pass judgment on that particular decision - have to see it to evaluate it.

But in response to Rick, I see passing on this type of "post-game" call as being fundamentally different from swallowing the whistle at the end of a game. In the latter case (whistle-swallower), you are allowing people to break rules and gain unfair advantages that may allow them to win the game undeservedly.

In the post-game taunting case, the horn has blown and the game already has an outcome (and don't recite the rules, I realize the officials have to say it is final before it is!). In many cases, you have hundreds of fans celebrating a victory with their players, many of whom be overly exuberent and unsporting in their post-game celebration. I know you have the right to call Ts until you leave the floor, but the game is over and was decided between the lines. IMHO, after the horn, the taunting would have to be of the "in the face" variety to merit a call that would change the outcome of a "finished" contest. An excessively belligerent player or coach would also qualify for a potentially game-altering T after the horn. But this is about the most extreme of calls short of a forfeit. Tread carefully.