Not quite!

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
[B
For Gee; The umpire that I metioned had four or five years experience. He had no excuse for not knowing the rules.

Peter
We still consider 4-5 years experience a novice (umpire in training) They might get a few varsity games, but probably not.

But as you state, there is no reason to not know the rules even with one years experience.

Thanks
David
Slow learners.

I know of umpires with less time in than that who are working D-1 and minor league ball. An umpire who still works like a novice after 5 years should come up with another hobby.

Or do you hold them back? Do the "good ol' boys" have a strangle hold on the good assignments?

[/B]
Not quite. No good ole boy network. But we have had an abundance of good umpires and since we have such a "baseball haven" its not like they aren't getting to work.

We have an extensive jv and junior high program with over 10 schools participating in just the junior high.

We also have the priviledge of having the state champions for the last two years in not just one division but in two divisions. So we have very good baseball for a little state.

We really are lucky.

But I do see a big change coming since we were really short on umpires this year. Next year we will be even shorter because I know of several veterans who are calling it quits.

On another topic I would NOT like to see a D1 official work with less than 5 years experience. Talk about feeding to the wolves. I've been there, done that and its not a cakewalk.

Speak of it I think I saw several this year at our local college - don't know where they're getting the D1 umpires now but not looking too good.

Thanks
David