View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I don't believe there is any way that once a runner legally aquires a base, he can, by any actions of his teammates, be made to vacate it for any reason.

In your original play the BR legally aquires 1st, R1 legally aquires 2nd (although he is standing on 3rd) and R2 legally aquires 3rd. The only base that R3 can legally aquire is home. Since all runners legally aquired the base they were forced to (and the BR is on first) the force is removed on all runners except R3 who is still forced from 3rd.

Since 7.08(e) states that "However, if a following runner is put out on a FORCE PLAY, the force is removed and the runner must be put out.", R1 was not forced out on 3rd, he was tagged out, which by the rule, DOES NOT remove the force. And since R2 has still legally aquired 3rd, the force on R3 still exists and he has no right to 3rd both because R2 has legally aquired it and because the force still exists on him.

Therefore, the order of the tag does not matter. R2 legally aquired a base that he was forced to. R1 only legally aquired 2nd and since he was tagged out (not forced out as stated in 7.008(e)), R3 is still forced to vacate 3rd and the only base he can legally aquire is home, so he is out upon being tagged at 3rd.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates