Thread: illegal pitch?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan S.
with no runners on, i had a pitcher start his delivery, and not finish it. im sure we've all seen this before, that in the middle of his delivery maybe the pitcher trips, or the ball falls out of his hands, or someone yells/distracts him. for me though, this was the first time as am umpire. in any case, i called a ball because of an illegal pitch based on these OBR rule quotes:
"The Windup Position. The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his entire pivot foot on, or in front of and touching and not off the end of the pitcher's plate, and the other foot free. From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration"...."From this position he may: (1) deliver the ball to the batter, or (2) step and throw to a base in an attempt to pick off a runner, or (3) disengage the rubber"... "If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch with the bases unoccupied, it shall be called a ball unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise"

thankfully enough it was a harmless count of 0-0 which i made 1-0, but i got a little heat for it, not too bad, stuck to my guns and moved the game on. is that the right call?? thanks
Read the italized note under 8.01d This will explain why it is nothing. Think of the pitch with no runners on as not having left the pitchers hand and not having crossed the foul line.