View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atl Blue
You are absolutely correct in that >once a runner reaches an advance base when forced, the force is off ON HIM. It is not off on any other runners who have not yet reached their advance bases...

But if the defense tags him (R1) first, OK, R1 is out, not by force, but because of the above stated rule (7.03). Now, because R1 is out, there is no force on R3. Under rule 7.03, R3 is entitled to 3B because there is no longer a force. Now, if both are tagged (in either order), R2 is out (see rule 7.03, as R3 is not forced to vacate 3B).

C'mon guys, these are BASIC rules presented in a little bit of a confusing example. I can somewhat see an ump with little experience MAYBE missing it in the heat of the action, but with all day to study it, it doesn't get much more basic than 7.03 and 7.08e.

Of course, I still can't find a rule number for "whoever f*d up is out".

[Edited by Atl Blue on Jul 18th, 2004 at 09:55 PM]
You say that once R1 legally occupies second base he can not be forced to advance. But later you say that if R2 acquires third base, he can be "forced" to retreat if the force out is removed because R1 was put out. So R2 legally acquires third base. Then because R1 is out, the is no longer legally on the base?

If this situation ever comes up, just call R1 and R3 out. Who cares about what the order of the tags were? Everyone konws that only 1 runner can be on a base, therefore no one will complain when you call R1 and R3 out. Besides, I assume the third base coach will already have his hands full yelling at the runners, he will have no time to question your call.