View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

akalsey:

In your scenario, you are correct, the order makes no difference because F3 has already stepped on first. This removed the force, so if R3 returns to 3B, it is his, and R2 and R1 are out if tagged.

You seem to understand the removed force concept. Windy, are you STILL not seeing it?

Windy keeps saying "R3 f*d up, he has to be out". He has yet to quote a rule that says R3 is out IF the force has been removed.

And that is the whole point to my extreme example. IF the force is removed because a trail runner is out for whatever reason, R3 IS NOT FORCED. Windy keeps saying R3 has to run and returned improperly, so he has to be out. Once a trail runner is out, R3 does NOT have to run, and is free to return to 3B, and because he is the lead runner, it belongs to him. So at that point, ANY other runner that was standing there has no right ot the base, including one who might have ORIGINALLY been forced there, but whose status changed when a trail runner was out, thereby removing the force.

Windy says he feels sorry for any league where I work (which must include the SEC and the ACC among others). This from someone whose only "rule" used on this play is "R3 f*d up, he has to be out". Windy, read the play: the status of R3 CHANGED. Once a trail runner (R1) is out, R3 is NOT forced, is free to return to HIS base, and anyone else standing there, including R2, is vulnerable.

I admit, this is never going to happen. It was an example that was used to show the ridiculousness of the statement about the "out of order crap" not meaning anything. It was merely a teaching tool, mental gymnastics. Unfortunately, Windy fell off the balance beam.

[Edited by Atl Blue on Jul 17th, 2004 at 07:16 AM]