View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Since I started all the "order of the tag crap" by stating that I teach my kids to tag both runners, I'll re-iterate. For the perspective of outcome of the game, it doesn't matter. If you have two runners on 2B and tag them both, one is out, one is safe, no matter which order you tag them in, how many outs, or what phase the moon is in. Gee said it could matter with less than two outs, but I can't figure out how.

From the perspective of an umpire wanting to send the right guy back to the bench, it does matter.

Atl Blue, you have a lengthy argument full of examples, but your logic is wrong. Your basic premise is that R2, who has legally obtained 3B could be tagged out if the force is removed. You provided no examples to back that up. Not one of your examples has a runner being tagged out while standing on a base to which they were forced.

If R1 had not yet made it to 3B and was tagged by F6 in the basepath, followed by F5 tagging both runners on 3B, would R2 be out? The force was removed when R1 was tagged out, so under your logic, R2 is in jeopardy.

If a runner legally obtains a base, he can't be put out while touching it (except by interference). A runner does not lose the right to a base by another runner being put out. He may gain the right to the base when someone is put out (if a force is removed), but he doesn't ever lose it.

[Edited by akalsey on Jul 15th, 2004 at 10:37 PM]