View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 09:37pm

Mary,
I'm a little curious. Your very first post here was VERY recent, correct? You were curious how one would go about finding certfied umpires for your area. Now, you post a question about an umpire's judgement from yur son's game last evening. Hmmm, it does seem a tad out of sorts, doesn't it?

An umpire is only as good as his last call. It seems that his last call didn't go your way. Life is kind of funny that way. Considering how the first post leaves me feeling a litlle deceived, I'm not sure that I should be offering this advice. An umpire who makes a safe call and then asks for help is certainly allowed. If his partner waits until the play is dead and then confers with him because there is a serious doubt in his mind as to the call (for instance -umpires have been known to signal one thing and verbalize another!) then that would be all right. Regardless of what many fans, coaches and athletes may think, we do try to get the call right. Did you ask the umpire why he ruled him safe? Maybe under the pressure of the game, he saw a foot come off the bag or a juggled ball. We were not there, but in what capacity were you at the game? I'm not saying that his call was correct, none of us know that. But, I would love to be able to make every one of my calls from the stands or the dugout. Surely you didn't think that we would hang the kid, without hearing more.