View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brunclikk
I've heard two things from fellow ballplayers and coaches my whole life but i never took the time to actually look it up:
1. Is the hand actually part of the bat? If you get hit on the hand is the ball in play?

2. If a batter squares to bunt and the pitch is thrown at him and strikes him but he doesn't pull the bat back, is it a strike? Does it make a difference whether he was still trying to bunt it or if he was just trying to get out of the way and forgot to pull the bat back?
1. Have you ever gone to the sporting goods store and seen any hands on the bats for sale? It is ALWAYS a DEAD BALL when you get hit on ANY part of your body by a pitch. (Hint)The last I checked the hands were part of the body.

Just in case you missed that, it is ALWAYS a dead ball when any part of your body gets hit by a pitch. Always ALWAYS,
A L W A Y S.

2. A strike is determined upon wether OR NOT the batter made an ATTEMPT to bunt the ball. Holding the bat out there means NONTHING. Did the batter attempt to hit the ball. This applies wether or NOT the batter gets hit with a pitch. In which case the BALL IS DEAD, ALWAYS. And a strike is assessed IF the batter attempted to hit the ball.