Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by bossref
The lead calls a foul on blue 33 for his illegal
contact with the shooter, red 10. (ball does not go in)
The shooter retaliates by pushing blue 33.
At the same time, red 55 and blue 55 are tangled up
while positioning for the potential rebound, and
the partner calls a double foul.
About 5 seconds later, red 55 and blue 55 scream profanity
at each other and are called for double technicals.

The possession arrow now points as red's next AP.

What is correct penalty procedure (NCAA rules)
and if no freethrows for the two double foul situations,
who gets the arrow?
What foul (if any) did you call on Red 10 for the retaliation? If the contact was pretty much simultaneous with Blue 33's foul, then you have a third double foul. If the contact occurred after the ball was dead, then you either have nothing or a direct technical on Red 10.

Case 1: Three double fouls. No FTs (never FTs for double fouls!!) and go to the arrow, since there was no possession when the double fouls occurred.

Case 2: Nothing on Red 10. The double T goes to point of interruption, so has essentially no effect on what happens next. The other fouls are administered in the order they happened, so (assuming the foul on Blue 33 happened first) have Red 10 shoot his/her FTs with the lanes cleared and then go to the arrow for the first double foul on the two 55s.

Case 3: Direct T on Red 10. Now Blue shoots the FTs for the T with lane spaces cleared (T's get taken care of first, after which we go to point of interruption), then Red 10 shoot his/her FTs, then we resume with the arrow.

I think that covers it. I may even be close to right.
Mmmmmmmmm I dunno....red 10 has to be whistled here for a dead ball contact foul, intentional T which is not a POI T, meaning blue is going to shoot 2 & keep the ball in midcourt.

So here's what I got under ncaam:

- Shooting foul on B33, 2 shots for R10
- Intentional T for R10 (not clear it's called here but it should be)
- R55 & B55's initial whistle is also a dead ball contact foul, intentional T's offset so no shots
- R55 & B55 then each earn their second T, see ya. Again no shots.

Bottom line: B33 shoots 2 lane cleared, any B then shoots 2 for R10's intentional foul lane cleared, blue gets the ball at midcourt. No change in arrow.

Now...where is that book....

BTW, if there's no whistle for R10's shove then we've got to decide one of the 2 T's on R55/B55 are not going to stand. In that case ignore the dead ball contact T, assess the double T and the result is B33 shoots 2 for the shooting foul lane cleared, red gets the ball at the spot via the arrow. Next arrow is blue.

Make sense?

[Edited by Dan_ref on Jul 9th, 2004 at 08:56 PM]