View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baseball_North
Another ejection situation that I want some input on, guys.

Bottom of the 6th inning. R1, R2, zero outs. Batter is at the plate with a 2-1 count. Squares around to bunt, noticed the fastball is coming in at him, tries to duck out of the way and gets plunked in the shoulder.

PU does not many any call. No point to first base. No "Yes he did! That's a strike!". Just silence. Opposing manager comes out to the PU and barks "Hey! That should be a strike", making reference to the fact that he thought the batter went around.

At that point, PU reluctantly and quietly goes, "Ya, that's a strike". Batter is pissed off and 3B coach comes in to argue. They asked him why he didn't make the call originally and why he waited for the "coach to make the call for him." They then asked him to at least ask his partner for help. He refused, and the batter continued to argue. Finally, PU ejects the batter.

Next batter comes up to the plate, strikes out. Under his breath, he muttered something as simple as "come on...". PU ejected him too, and looked really defensive in doing so. The defense was wondering themselves why he was thrown out, as they didn't hear him say anything and he had his back to the umpire.

In sum.....

#1) What should the call have been on the 1st batter in the situation? Does the position of the bat make the difference, or does it depend if he offered at it or not? Should he have made the call earlier? Should he have asked for help at least?

#2) Was he too defensive... and thus wrongfully ejected the second player?
Baseball_north,

This is your second thread questioning the officials calls over ejections in which it seems YOUR players were involved and possibly guilty. At some point you have to realalize that bad baseball , usually gets bad officiating. Something you just have'nt come around to accept.

I used to tell my players to SHUT their mouths and accept what happens out there, DEAL WITH IT. I will deal with the officials. At some point, I realized that the official doing my game did'nt belong there however he was the best one we had for that game. Arguing with him only pissed him off, and I very very seldom won.

I know your going to get all offended by this and say that you are just trying to find out information to learn how these things should be properly handled the next time. I have already coverd that. The truth of the matter is you want us to make you feel good by saying the officials were wrong and you were right.

Hey Sh**T Happens, Deal with it.