Thread: Horn Goes Off
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 03:39pm
In Memoriam

Post Interesting play

Quote:
Originally posted by number 26
ok, now that i know you don't care. team a at free throw line. down 2. 10-15 seconds left. makes first. down one. second free throw about to be attempted. shooter has ball. not yet into his shooting motion. horn sounds. my eyes follow ref as he walks to scorers table. cheers from team a fans. apparently, team a shooter shot, and made the second free throw. a mini-commotion as you can imagine, with team a's coach and referees at the scorer's table. free throw ultimately disallowed...
i don't know if whistle was blown by ref(s) at the sound of the horn. team a coach feels this is key. if the rule is play continues as is until a whistle, he has a valid point.
imho, coach instructed player to shoot free throw as ref was approaching table, as the first half of a win/win. and he deserves credit for assessing the situation instantly. had he missed, team a could claim attempt should not count.
how about if he missed, team b rebounds, team a not thinking play is live, watches team b go length of court for uncontested dunk...
as a team a fan, don't feel they were victimized by a bad call. horns happen.
Thanks #26,
If the official wanted time to stop (which he apparently did want, or he wouldn't have turned his back on the play), he should have blown that whistle, as you implied and had gotten the ball outa the shooter's hands.
Once he screwed up that part, he was basically on his own, without the rule book to clearly back him, and whatever he chose was gonna be bad for one side or the other.
Now, he did have some other official(s) with him. I wonder what they were doing, ... just enjoying the break in action?

I don't know if you are an official, a coach, a fan or all of the above, but when we officials have those mind snaps, the result is going to hurt more than thrown bottles.

mick