View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'm really not trying to open a can of worms. This situation really did happen, and I'd like to know how to fix it in the future.

B1 hits a sinking line drive. F8 comes in and makes an apparent catch. BU calls B1 out. Offensive coach comes out of the dugout and tells PU that he is appealing the call. PU immediately rules "No catch" and puts B1 on 1B. Defensive coach did manage to convince the PU that that was not proper procedure. The offensive coach was then allowed to ask the BU if he needed help. BU now doubts his call and reverses his original call. Should the overrule have been put aside at that point? If so, should the original call have been left, or was it proper to allow the offensive coach to re-open with the BU? FWIW, I'm not concerned with the correctness of the judgment call as much as the proper mechanics. If proper mechanics had been followed, the same call would have been arrived at, as BU said to me later that he was somewhat screened on the play and not positive on his original call.

John