View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp
OBR Rules. 2 out, R1. BR grounds to deep F6. Throw to 1B, (Bang-Bang) BR safe. Then BANG.....

R1 comes flying back to 1B, overruns it into the coaches box, then returns to the bag just as the BR is returning. Now I have 2 runners standing on 1st.

Don't know why R1 did this, but he did.

F3 tags R1 and is called out (by me). But.... not sure if that was the correct call.

Questions:

1) Was BR out automatically when R1 returned to 1B and overran it, thus placing BR ahead of R1. (OBR 7.08 (h))

2) Should F3 have been forced to tag the BR because R1 in entitled to the base. (OBR 7.03)

3) Was the call correct, because force over-rules OBR 7.03 (OBR 7.01)

1. This may be stretching 7.08h a little. Usually this applies when a following runner passes a proceeding runner, as stated.

2. R1 was NOT entitled to the base because of 7.01. The runner was forced to vacate the base. F3 could have also just thrown to 2nd for the force.

3. The call was correct, but 7.01 discusses the runner aquiring the right to a base and when they lose that right.
7.03 further discusses who is entilted to a base without a FORCE CONDITION. Sit: R2 on 2nd. 1 out. B1 hits single and advances to first and trys for second. He arrives safely however for some unknown reason R2 starts for third and decides to head back to second. Both runners are now on the base. If neither are tagged they are both still safe. If the runner from first is tagged then he is out, because the preceding runner is entitled to the base as per 7.01.

I don't believe that 7.01 overrules 7.03 as much as clarifying another scenario, and what runners are entitled to a base during that scenario.