View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"Play at plate PU calls runner out, FU steps in and awards runner home on OBS call. Def coach upset and has words with FU."

HORRIBLE!!! If a PU allows this to happen, he/she is a gutless jerk who has no business umpiring. And, if a FU(BU) tried pulling that dumb stunt on me, I would say in no uncertain terms, "That's MY call, and the runner is OUT. You have no right to try to overrule my call. Work YOUR position, and I'll work MINE. If you try that again, we're going to have a 'discussion' in the parking lot after the game".
Actually, I believe you have the wrong slant on this. The BU (FU brings up bad thoughts) is allowed to make the call anywhere on the field when he sees it, just like the PU. He didn't overrule anyone. In this, I am just like you, no one is gonna overrule me on my field. No one. But, one partner may have missed something and the other saw it. I've seen both partners raise their arm for OBS and the PU drop his when he sees that his partner has the call also. He can take of other stuff. That's called teamwork, not overrulling.

It sounds like you want to separate lines of responsibility in the infield. Ie, you take everything on 1st and 3rd and I've got everything else. Or maybe you draw an X from 1st to 3rd and 2nd to Home and designate areas that your partner can't cover. Personally, I want every bit of info I can get to make sure I get the call right. I have absolutely no problem changing my call when I ask for help and get info from my partner. Again, I don't think this is an overruling situation. It's just a call that the BU is allowed to make.