Thread: Horn Goes Off
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This play happened in CA this past weekend during a semi-final sectional playoff game. I was not there, but this is what I heard happened.

Score tied with less than 1:30 left in the game. A1 (visiting team) is fouled and team A is in the bonus, so he goes to the line to shoot 1-1.

Player gets the ball from the official. While holding the ball, the horn inadvertantly (they claim faulty wiring - yeah, right) goes off. Officials do NOT step in and blow the try dead, player then waits a second and attempts the FT. The shot goes in. Well after the shot enters the basket, one of the officials blows the whistle, and cancels the made FT due to the horn going off and orders the shooter to shoot again at the front end of the 1-1.

Needless to say, the player misses, Team B rebounds and gets fouled, makes both free throws and wins the game by 3. Team A protested, but to no avail as there was not enough time to hear the case before the next game on the following day.

If it was me, I would have blown my whistle before the attempt and started over the try. If for some reason I didn't stop the play in time and the shooter makes it, I think I would let it go. If he misses however, and I think that he was distracted by the horn, I might have him start over. Any thoughts?

*Note* I worked a game the next day, and this exact thing happened. I was talking to my partner about this situation before the game, so we were well prepared and stepped in before the shot was even attempted.