Thread: fight
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 06, 2001, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

This one is interesting! First, the fan came out of the 'stands' and starts fighting with one of the players. The officials call a 'flagrant technical' against the player that was fighting and the fan is ejected. I don't claim to have an absolute answer since the information about the situation is somewhat limited. But for conversation sake, wouldn't the player be within reason should someone 'out of the stands' attackes him to make some effort to defend himself? Rule 10 is clear that a player charged with fighting should be disqualified. However, the definition of fighting in Rule 4 speaks specifically in relationship to the act (of fighting) being directed at an opponent! I assume, for arguments sake, that an opponent would be a player or team personel from the opposing team and not a spectator. The fighting definition also says that it is 'not limited' necessarily to the opponents. A different can of worms are opened in my opinion, if a fan can dictate the participation of a player of the opposing team. Not to say that other schools or students would attempt to abuse this situation, but I think most of you can see where it could go. For all I know, the player charged with fighting may have done more than 'attempting to protect himself'. But here's what the officials could have had. First, no technical if the player was defending himself. The fan that came out of the stands to fight, should have been arrested on the spot for assault. Here in Tennessee, we have specific laws for such situations in a organized sporting event. Since additional kids came out of the stands and on to the floor, an administrative technical to the home team. Any and all fans that came onto the floor should have been removed from the gym. The is a classic example of an administration 'not taking care of business'! I hope that no lawyers were in attendance, but then again, maybe in this situation, it might be good. I only wonder, with this type of incident against a player, how long will it be before an official is attacked in a similar manner???