View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

A bumping F6

I had something very similar in a HS game the other day.

With a runner on second, F6 would come in and out from behind R2 clapping his mitt. The third base coach asked me to pay attention to the F6 that he was contacting R2. As I was working alone, I was seeing F6, but not paying close attention to what went on.

As F6 closed in on R2, he would reach out his mitt and tap R2 on the leg, butt, side, etc. I had been hearing murmurings from the 2B area to know that it had been a continuing action.

F1 was set and F6 came in and gave his pat. I threw my hands up and called time. I took off my mask, pointed out to F6 and announced, "That's your warning!" I then turned to his coach and explained, "Have your players keep their hands to themselves." No problems for the rest of the game.

It is unsportsmanlike and unnecessary to contact R2. If it is an isolated accidental incident, I've got nothing. But, if a fielder routinely contacts a runner in any way, whether there is a play or not, it needs to be stopped.

If you don't buy into the fact that it should not be happening, look at it from a different point of view. Let it become preventative umpiring, because don't think for a second that there won't be retaliation for something like that.

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray