View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Gentlemen, gentlemen:

Lets not forget the avoid contact rule. Your talking about young kids and already instructing them to "run people over".

When I read your first thread I knew exactly where you were going with this and wanted to see some replys first. Yes obstruction MAY not always be called like it should but, there is both a defenseive rule and offensive rule that have to be taking into consideration here.

LDUB, Purposely running people over is also a violation of the rules. This is not Football. The runner is to avoid contact. If the runner is out because he had to go around the fielder that is obstructing him, than an award rectifies this problem. NOT having the player Run Him Over. That is an out and may be construded as malicious contact. I would say this applies in most ALL youth Ball.
I did not say run over, I said run into. The original post said that the defensive players were moving in and out in an attempt to pick off runners as they go by. If someone is trying to get in your way it will be hard to get around him, what to you want the runner to do, stand there and try to juke out the fielder in the middle of the basepath?