View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, gentlemen:

Lets not forget the avoid contact rule. Your talking about young kids and already instructing them to "run people over".

When I read your first thread I knew exactly where you were going with this and wanted to see some replys first. Yes obstruction MAY not always be called like it should but, there is both a defenseive rule and offensive rule that have to be taking into consideration here.

LDUB, Purposely running people over is also a violation of the rules. This is not Football. The runner is to avoid contact. If the runner is out because he had to go around the fielder that is obstructing him, than an award rectifies this problem. NOT having the player Run Him Over. That is an out and may be construded as malicious contact. I would say this applies in most ALL youth Ball.

I agree, lesser experienced officials will not pick up on this as readily as most of the more experience one's however, you would be better served by instructing your players to avoid contact. Discuss with the UIC and other Board members so as to bring an awareness to all the officials as to what to look for.