View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

"Umps many times call a bigger zone for poor, slow pitchers than they do for more experienced, better pitchers in the same game."

No question this is true for WMB. If she is slow for the norm at that age, then I feel the batters have time to hit the marginal pitches and I am going to call them. If you don't, you will have too many walks and batters will be standing there with the bats on their shoulders.

"A pitcher with good control will get more calls around the edges than one who is wild because there is a psychological benefit from having the ump think you meant to put it there"

No true for me. A corner is a corner, regardless of the pitcher. But the better pitcher better hit the corners, or she won't get the strike. (See above for poorer pitcher) I've been behind the plate three times this year (2 H.S. and one 18U tournament game) for one of the best pitchers in this State. She deliberately throws 2"-4" off the plate. Because of her reputation (and a demanding coach) she gets those calls from a lot of umpires, and will stay there the entire game just destroying batters.

I won't do it. Because she is so good I demand that she hit the corners. Its a battle of wills, and after a few tantrums she moves it over (and I'll yield a bit and give her an inch off the plate) and we have a good game.

WMB