View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, here is the situation. I am UIC for small rec league as most rural leagues I wear many hats, so i also coach a team. We are having a round robin tourney (only 3 teams in league). To make a long story as short as possible I have 4 adult umpires two of which coach in this league and one that can only do Tuesday nights. I decided not to umpire game as I have a team in the tourney, and also not to let the other umpire with a team in it umpire any of the 3 games. 1st Tourney game last night one coach is one of my umpires other has talked to me about PU's strike zone and not happy that he is doing their game. I am sitting behind the plate on scorers bench. One coach comes up behind me and says something to my PU, well I send him back to the dugout. I watched the whole game and I think his zone was a little tighter than what I would have called, but it was better than a lot of people I have worked with! Anyway there were 3 close calls in the field all of which I agreed with, maybe 10 balls that were close enough for my outside corner but he was very consistant on his zone. Anyway it was a good called game by both umpires. Coach (who lost) was very upset that PU did his game, said I should have done it (don't you know it I tried to stay out of it and now it's my fault I didn't do it) anyway my main question is there is a game tomorrow night between my team and this coaches team. Guess who is scheduled for it, yep you got it the exact same two umpires! My quesiton is should I try to find a replacement or stick with my schedule?? My first thought is there is no way I am giving in and rescheduling it. But the other side of that is now my PU (3rd year doing pretty good IMO) is second guessing himself. My FU 2nd year 16 year old girl, could care less she has the perfect umpire attitude!! But I am worried that another game with him will hurt my PU's confidence. What would you do??

And I know this is an issue with coaching and umpiring and in a perfect world I wouldn't do both but in small league USA you have to do both some times!!