View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I will read the rest of the posts later, but respond first. Joe is PU. "Joe said it looked to him like the batter was safe" and BU wanted him to say that he was off the bag so they can get it right, but then Joe told you "the 1st baseman stretched hard toward second to receive the relay and did come off the bag after receiving the throw, but was definitely in contact with the bag when the throw was received". Sounds like Joe, the PU, can't make up his mind.

[/B]
DG,

I apologize for giving any indication that Joe was indecisive. He said he watched the FPSR at second then swiveled to first to watch for the pulled foot/swipe tag. He felt the batter beat the throw and was surprised by the out call, although it was a bang-bang play.

The whole thrust of this question is that the base ump kicked the call, knew he kicked the call, but did not have the courage to correct his error. He asked the PU to compromise his integrity by lying in the interest of "getting it right".

P.S. As I am sure you have surmised, this is a hypothetical situation made up to generate more discussion about what lengths should be taken to get the call right.