View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 27, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by For the kids
... We had this situation where the umpire called the girl out without the defensive team appealing. This was an ISA umpire who made the call...
It is just my opinion... but when you have a niche organization like ISA, it might be difficult to get umpires with detailed knowledge of your organizations league. For example, I have only done one ISA tourney and it was only after some begging from the assignor. I do mostly high school and learned the ISA rule differences by showing up an hour early for the games and discussing the rules with another umpire. (I was loaned a green shirt, an ISA ball cap and a rule book.)

You will find that with the number of niche organization out there, fewer and fewer umpires are willing to buy multiple kinds of shirts and caps, and invest the time to learn multiple sets of rules, just because a league wants to have base burglars.

As mentioned in one of the other post, up until a couple of years ago, high school rules stated that this was not an appeal play but the umpire was to call it at the end of playing action. Perhaps you had an umpire that was only familiar with the old high school way of doing things.

So, what can be done? I would suggest that (especially if your league wants to stick with ISA) the coaches get a better understanding of how to properly protest a call. I believe that you are correct that in ISA, this is an appeal play. A properly executed protest by the coach would have probably had the call corrected.

[Edited by SC Ump on Jun 27th, 2004 at 02:23 PM]