View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by Baseball_North
Here is the situation....

In my game last night, I go in to pinch hit for the ninth hitter in our order. It is the bottom of the 7th inning. 2 outs.

I chop a crappy hit that bounces off the plate, and I manage to beat it out at 1B for an infield single. The coach of the other team then calls time and goes to the umpire. No one knew what the problem was. After a discussion between the umpire and the visiting coach, the PU said that we batted out of order and that there were 3 outs.

There was confusion, but the defense left the field, and my team took the field for the top of the 8th. While out team was warming up in the field, I just passed by the umpires (I know them, have umpired with them on numerous occasions), and asked them what the problem was.

It turned out that our eighth and ninth batters were incorrectly placed on the official line-up card. Their names were in the right order, but my coach accidently flipped their numbers. So I was talking to the umpires, and I told them, "shouldn't we just be going by the name on the line-up card". Then my coach came over and started talking, and the PU said that we were right, and the name on the card is what matters, and told my team to get back up to bat to finish the bottom of the 7th inning.

So my question is.... what actually has more power with respect to line-up screw-ups? Do you go by the name or by the number?

Also, wouldn't it be too late for them to complain, if I pinch-hit and completed by at bat?
You should be going by the number, the name just an extra way of identifying the player.

But why was this not noticed at the plate confrence before the game? This is why you look over the linup cards.
Yeah I knew that one, I put it backwards. The original post said that the names were out of place on the original lineup card. Now isn't that the one the umpire has in his pocket? How would the manager know that the numbers were backwars on the card in the umpire's pocket? Something is missing here.