View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 06:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
[/B]
Disagree. It certainly does say that in the cites above. The defender can jump vertically and then legally occupy the space within his/her vertical plane. Not some of the space, Camron. All of the space. It also says the defender should NOT be penalized for having his/her hands within his/her vertical plane, but you're saying that maybe a defensive player can be penalized for knocking an opponent's arm(s) out of their vertical plane. That's a direct contravention of that cite. The offensive player is also the one causing contact in the defender's vertical plane by being where they aren't legally allowed to be. Pretty specific language, I think. [/B][/QUOTE]

Still disagree. It says the defender can raise them above their head. It says the defender can have their hands above their head. It says they may occupy the space above them. It says they may jump. It says the opponent can't cause contact in that space. It doesn't say that they are permitted additional rights once they are there. It doesn't say that the player can cause contact outside of the act of jumping or raising the arms.

Just as the example posted above so clearly stated: if the opponent has caught the ball cleanly, the player (now defender) can NOT sweep the arms sideways, even within the vertical plane, to knock the opponents arms off the ball.
[/B][/QUOTE]Camron, what rule says that the defensive rebounder can't legally move their arms within their vertical plane? There isn't one that I know of. On the contrary, the rules that I cited state the exact opposite. And where in the citations that I gave are there any restrictions as to WHEN the defensive rebounder can raise his arms either? Again, I don't know of any rule that lays out any restrictions regarding timing.

The example posted above may have been clearly stated. Unfortunately, the conclusion reached in that clearly stated example isn't backed by any rule that I've ever heard of.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jun 21st, 2004 at 07:24 PM]