View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Why ???

[[/B][/QUOTE]Yes and no.

Yes, it is still an infield fly, but what this means is the umpire may correct his late or no call. However, if his late or no call placed runners in jeopardy, he needs to correct that, too.

No on your reason. The IF call is umpire judgment. True, the IF situation is cut and dried from the rule book (force at 3rd with less than 2 outs is a succinct way of stating it), but the actual call is umpire judgment - that pesky "ordinary effort." So, if you do not call it, the offense must assume that your judgment was it was not an IF so they must hoof it ASAP to the next base due to the force. You can't later make the call (to declare the BR out) and also allow force outs to stand, even if it was a tag. [/B][/QUOTE]

I see how this could be construed, but I don't think I put the runners in jeopardy by not screaming it at the top of my lungs (which were pretty much shot anyway). Runner was down the line, when the ball was not caught, she went back, tagged, and came home.

She said to coach, "but it's an infield fly, I don't have to go" or something of the lines after the play. She obviously knew the situation, as did the batter-runner and runner on first. Only runner on second didn't know what was going on, and coaches.

So did I really put this runner in jeopardy, or did coach?

And, thankfully, the forces of softball were looking after me and the team that was "harmed" by the call still won the game.