Thread: Tossing a coach
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Seriously, you let him stay? I'm with Rich, at first I would have said ignore it. After you explained further what he was saying and how long he was saying it for, you should have tossed him right there.

Honestly, I think you should have told him to stop after he continued on past the first comment and maybe you wouldn't have been in a situation where you were at the point that you should have dumped him. Catch it quick and early and you may have a better game without the comments and the coach may get to watch the game from where he is supposed to.

I did a tournament this weekend. My second game was on the bases after just calling the plate the game before. First batter bunts his way on, on the first pitch. Now R1 leading off the base and the pitcher almost picks him off first. A real close play. Immediately, the four defensive coaches are chirping. I look at them and say "Hey, that'll be enough of that!" Heard nothing the rest of the game.

Set the tone early. Most coaches will take as much as you allow them to have. But they will generally take a hint as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
The first out, there were more than one comment. The comments were still being hurled at me when the next batter took his place in the box. He told me I was in the wrong position. He told me that I should watch the play next time. He asked if I'd like him to clean the bag off for me. In short, he said all the things I've said to umps as a spectator.

I don't want to dump someone. I'd like to do anything I can to avoid it.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates