Thread: and one
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
Early on this year I had a coach who kept saying "and one". After the third time my partner turned to him and said. Wheres the disadvantage coach, you got the basket didn't you"? The coach became strangley silent. I later learned that this guy hates to call 2 and 1's, and from what I'm told he does'nt. I do when the fouls committed but some feel its a test to see if they can hold their whistle til the plays complete. I would not warn or T for this.
I fail to understand why somebody refuses to call fouls on made baskets. You shouldn't have to miss to get to the line.

As for calling a T when coaches yell three seconds, over the back, etc., it is usually ignored in my experience unless it is way excessive or the ref is personally abusive toward the official. Every coach is trying to influence an official when you get down to it. Not saying that's right, but I don't see folks calling it as KDM suggests. I think that every ref has a line that coaches shouldn't cross. Some coaches are right up against that line every game, many don't come close that often and some never get there. If you cross it, WHACK!!! But "and 1" is not usually where that line is drawn.

For Mcdan, "and 1" is also pickup ball slang. In pickup, you call it before your shot falls as a way of calling your foul (you also call "ball" in some places - depends where you play). It's just more kewl than yelling foul every time you get hacked.