Thread: illegal pitches
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to KathyCG
I called a 12U game last night. I've tried to imagine the crow hop without ever seeing it. I've seen where the pitcher would go into the windup and take a small step with the pivot foot before releasing the ball. But last night one pitcher would go into the windup, step/drag her pivot foot then release the ball, so it looked like she probably was crow hopping as the BALL RELEASE was when she put her pivot foot down (second starting point).

Her release looked like Cat Osterman's (video from another board--Ernie Parker's web site maybe?) where her delivery was being questioned as crow-hopping.

Shame on me, I didn't call any IPs. But, not having seen that kind of release before, I was not too sure.

Also, this is my third year as a sanctioned umpire, and I've been calling mostly 10U and 12B/C-level teams. If I see a pitcher start with one foot off of the pitching plate or doing something else wrong, I will tell the coach about it. But this one I was not too sure of, so I didn't say anything (except I might know who her dad is, so I will check it out!).