View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

OBR refers to "trips to the mound" but does not mention defensive conferences, as in FED rules. I was wondering how this was handled.

Example: Cal Ripken game, played under modified OBR. Manager has already gone to the mound once in the inning. Fly ball to right field, 9-year-old kid drops it, then holds the ball as 50 people scream at him; he's terrified and has no idea what to do. Manager calls time and walks out to right field to chew out the kid (which I think is horrible in the first place). He says, "I'm not going to the pitcher." Since I'd already had two rounds with him in the game and he was losing pretty badly, I decided I'd let him go and not make him remove the pitcher, simply b/c I didn't want another argument and one more run by the other team would end the game.

So: Can a coach, under OBR, call time to go talk to a defensive player and not have it count as a visit to the mound? I know that under FED, it would count toward his "defensive conferences" and after the third one, he would have to remove the pitcher. But how is this applied to OBR?

(By the way, the father of the kid the coach chewed out in right field wanted to fight with the coach after the game. I imagine I would have, too.)