Thread: and one
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KDM
Its a warning or a technical. Rule 10 is fairly clear. He/she can not attempt to influence your decision. He/she can not taunt or bait in objection to an official's decision. Even if the decision is 'not to call a foul'. He/she can not incite unfavorable crowd reaction, although that may not have occurred in this situation. But, rest assured, it is likely that this behavior may incite the crowd. I'm a firm believer that you officiate within the 'spirit and intent' of the rules rather than the literal sense. However, when a coach attempts to circumvent the 'spirit and intent', we might have to revert to the literal meanings of the rule. Allowing this behavior to continue, most likely, will escalate to other undesirable behaviors. So, my answer is to 'nip it in the bud' immediately and don't pass the problem to the next group of officials that may work his/her game.
Based on what you just wrote, if you're calling technical fouls in a situation like this, you are calling the games by the letter of the rule. If he yells 3 seconds or over the back one time, do you call a T? My guess is no.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith