View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Does not seem correct to say that you couldn't convince me I was wrong a minute ago, and now that I have ejected you, you know longer have a right to convince the league of it either thru the appropriate appeals proceedure.
Chuck, it is absolutly right that this coach no longer has any right to invoke a protest situation on the feild after he has been ejected. Even if he has a good case; it is no reason to act in such a way as to get tossed. I understand your desire for the rule (whatever it was) to be interpreted correctly but to allow that coach to stay on the feild and protest after getting tossed just becuase he might be right? Geez, in every argument that happens someone feels that the team member arguing with the Blue is correct.. so should we let them all stay regardless of behaviour just becuase they might be right? Nope.. out of sight, and out of sound once they cross that line, and we deal with nothing else until the offender is gone and a sub is reported.

But only that individual coach has lost the right to file a legal protest. Nobody is taking away the team's right to protest a misapplied rule.. but that is going to have to happen AFTER the offending coach departs.

If, after all the hullabaloo, the assistant is not up to speed or whatever on the situation or does not know how to properly go the the motions to do the protest on the feild and his/her team suffers for it; well; thems the breaks! Head coach should have kept his/her head!

Not fair? I think it is. The USC by the coach cost them the coach; the loss of the coach's knowlege/skill etc in coaching (i.e. recognizing a potential protestable situation and knowing how to go about protesting) is lost at the same time. No different from a star player getting tossed.. sure a sub can come in and play but the team is going to lose the starter's talent for the remainder of the game.

What it all comes down to is that players and coaches are required to conduct themselves properly on the feild ALL THE TIME. There seems to be this theory out there that if the player or coach thinks the official is wrong then all bets are off and it is ok to be a butthead about it. Sorry, not the way it works.

I probably come off sounding like a real hard *** Blue who puts a notch on his indicator everytime I run someone.. and really I am not. Most of the time I am probably, if anything, too freindly and good natured as a Blue. I appreciate what the coaches do for the game especially in youth ball. Without them, I don't have a game to call!

"Play Ball!"

Ernie
Anchorage, AK
ASA/NFHS