View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I see your problem. Only other thing I could add would be that after the pitcher forces him back to the base or throws him out is to then immediately ask for time once the runner is on the base. Instruct your umpires to grant it immediately and perhaps even call it anyways so as to get the game moving.

Sounds like a tough one. I wish you luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by Saltydog
I understand and agree with what you're saying. However, the dance that develops is now that the pitcher has forced the guy back to 3rd he has to somehow get back to the mound... and as he walks back the guy on 3rd starts coming off, then the waltz starts again. We could easily waste an evening with this unless the umpire gets fed up. With a really aggressive base coach eventually you get someone to throw the ball away (some of these guys really want to win!). If the defense asks for a time out to get the guy back on base and the game back underway, then we get the whine from the offense that you're inhibiting the runner. Remember, I'm dealing with 15 yo umpires. It's a tough thing for them to tell some 30-40 y/o manager to 'either send him home or back to third so the rest of us can play baseball'... or even tell the batter to get in the box. I guess I'm trying to legislate common sense, and that is always a losing prop. It's just frustrating watching a ball game turned into a circus... not hard with a bunch of 9-10s. Thanks for all the input.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates