View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

First some background: Cal Ripken rules, 9-10 y/os. All our umpires are High Schoolers, most active ball players. I'm the commish, trying to balance competition with learning.
Hypothetical Problem. Runner at 2B. Batter hits to RF. F9 charges ball and makes quick throw to F4. R2 has rounded 3rd and is drawn up short by base coach when F4 cocks to throw home. F4 stays cocked, takes a couple steps toward F1 who is on the rubber (F2 is behind the plate), then throws to F1, at which point runner takes off for home. Now, I've seen all the dancing that can take place in the upper leagues. And I know some Managers like to play 'rattle the kid' so they can win the game (I'm sure you've seen one where a single turned into a home run by the ball chasing the runner around the field.) My call as Commish is the runner had the chance to go for home, and he didn't. Now we can sit there all night playing 'no you go first, no you go first' or get on with the game... So I tell 'em 'When your defensive move has stopped the offence, and F1 and F2 are ready to play, then it's time to "Play", and the runner gets his tail back on 3B. Am I doing negative training here? Is this policy close enough to the rule book to make sense? Thanks. SD