View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachRob
\
Apply same logic to crease violation while GK is in the crease:
Loose ball: Flag down, or award ball lateral to goal.
GK possession: Flag down, or award ball at midfield.[/B]
I'd like to apply the same logic, but there's the small matter that the rules ONLY specify a free clear for goalie interference with possession and for time-serving penalties with the ball in the defensive half of the field.

In other words, I think it SHOULD be a free clear, but I'm not convinced that it IS a free clear.

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachRob
\MY QUESTION for the NCAA is what to do about crease violations while a DEFENDER, not a GK, is in the crease. Rule 6-2 deals with "GK this, GK that". How about if a defender is covering for a GK serving a foul, or is covering the crease while the GK is out of position? Then what? If they could make a list as I have done above, it would be helpful. (I understand that GK interference/pvivileges only apply to the designated GK, and not to a player covering for the GK. A defender and his crosse can be stick checked while in the crease.) [/B]
Well, if the defender is covering for a GK serving a foul, he needs to be properly equipped to be a GK and becomes the desgnated goalkeeper during that time. Thus, he has all of the priviliges of the GK at that time.

If it's a defender in the crease, as you say, interference doesn't apply, and he can't bat the ball with his hands. But WHO is in the crease has NO BEARING on the result of crease violations, so all of that stuff will be the same.