View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 26, 2001, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Same thing happens with me. I have learned to get the GV before the game and let him know what is going to happen. I am polite and when I bring up the subject of everything I subtly make sure that I am letting him know it is me that will be doing the talking.

Now you have problems of the GV who is already on the field sitting in the dugout with his old coach friends laughing and joking. Immediately you can tell what you are getting for a partner.

And if the guy takes charge of the plate at the pre-game meeting, usually you know that that is the only thing he will take charge of! He will bark out the things at the plate, but never be at fault in the field.

And the last type I have seen is the one who doesn't even attend the meeting. He already knows everything. It is below him to do this. Now you know his attitude.

So the pre-game meeting, in some ways, can be an asset if you recognize the symptoms of the partner your getting before the first pitch.

What can you do? Just make sure you never do any of those things if you become a mentor. I, for one, can not understand how someone who umpires not wanting to be excited about it and have fun.

Max