View Single Post
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
The school board here runs a softball day for the elementary school kids each June. Kids from all over the city and local country side bus to the complex and play 4 or so 1 hour games, a little picnic lunch in the middle somewhere. Very relaxed, sometimes the buses from outlying areas are late so we just play whoever happens to be there regardless of what was scheduled. Kids from one of the local high schools do the umpiring.

Sent two teams from my son's school last year. Gym teacher coached one I had the other. A beautiful day about 35 degrees (C) not a cloud in sight. The kids ran the team, who would pitch, who sat out, who played where, coached the bases, called the plays. All I had to do was a little encouragement to a few, some tips on swinging a bat and make sure it stayed safe. Better than a day in the office thats for sure.

The rules were a little weird and the kids doing the bases had their off moments but who cares. The only down scene was the last game of the day when the coach (parent/teacher?) on the other team started being aggresively loud at the ump for calling things differently than the game before. Kid comes over to my side after about it and I told him to just call what he wanted the kids camne to play ball not to listen to a bunch of adults argue.