View Single Post
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
You stand 3 – 4 feet behind the catcher with your nose lined up on the inside edge of the plate.

I have been blocked out in the slot many times. Solution, step back and raise up. Dang, that sounds simmilar to the GD position.
Nick: There are two stances: the slot (where the umpire works off center of the plate) and the box (where he's dead center). GD is a slot, as are the knee, the scissors, heel-toe, or wrestler's balanced.

The salient points of the GD system are: (1) resting your weight on the skeletal structure; (2) putting your nose on the corner; (3) standing one long step bahind the catcher; and (4) coming set well before the pitcher begins his preliminary movements.

There's one other advantage of GD that I haven't dwelled on: It's darn simple to teach!

Give me five minutes, and I can get an absolute rookie (someone who's never called the plate!) in proper position to call balls and strikes. Give me an hour to teach him how to incorporate an artificial delay in vocalizing strikes and balls; and when he goes onto the field, he'll look and sound like a veteran.

My rookie umpires start in B on the bases, use the Gerry Davis stance behind the plate, and get picked by UISc for local tournaments one month into the season.