Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Almost Ed. Players can encroach until the snapper puts his hand(s) on the ball as long as they do not touch the ball, an opponent, or are there giving defensive signals. (anybody actually ever called this last one?)

Check out 2-8. The ready for play marks the beginning of encroachment restrictions which continue until the snap except for entering substitutes.
Unless this was changed, Jim S is correct. I am at work with no access to my books. Can someone post the rule/casebook reference?
Rule 2-8...Defintion of Encroachment

Encroachment occurs when a player is illegally in the neutral zone during the time interval starting when the ball is ready for play and until the ball is snapped. For the purposes of enforcing encroachment restrictions, an entering substitute is not considered to be a player until he is on his team's side of the neutral zone.

Case Book

2.8 SITUATION A: After the ball is ready for play for a scrimmage down: (a) B1 enters the neutral zone to give defensive signals; or (b) B2, the nose guard, places his hand on the ground so that it is in contact with the ball. After the ready-for-play signal and the snapper places hand(s) on the ball: (c) A1 or B3 break the plane of the neutral zone; or (d) B1 is conferring with his coach and is on A's side of the neutral zone. RULING: Encroachment in (a), (b), (c) and (d). Whenever a player is illegally in the neutral zone, it is encroachment. (7-1, 2)

I do understand the confusion that arises from the wording in 7-1-5:

Before the snap. . . No other player shall encroach on the neutral zone after the ball is ready for play by touching the ball or an opponent or by being in the neutral zone to give defensive signals.

Which says the center's hand can encroach.

One of my pet peeves is the language of the Rule Book which can be confusing. Maybe football officiating should be the sole province of English teachers and lawyers!

Ed, the examples you give are violations of rule 7-1-5. Rule 7-1-6 states “Following the ready for play and after the snapper has placed his hand(s) on the ball, encroachment occurs if any other player breaks the plane of the neutral zone.”
Basically as long as the snapper has not touched the ball any player can encroach on the neutral zone (as long as 7-1-5 has not been violated) and get back with out committing a foul. A lot of smart offensive line coaches will have the line come up bend over, without placing their hands below the knee and have the snapper check the position of the linemen prior to touching the ball. The snapper can then tell a lineman to move back as required.
Dale Smith