View Single Post
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: Love it!

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I, also am truly enjoying this stance. Out of curiosity I thought I would make a couple of measurements...

My hands are lightly resting on the outside of my thighs. I quit using an clicky-thing-a-mo-bob-dicator last season - that's another topic but I like that change too.

I am well behind the catcher. Earlier, in a different thread, I had written that I could barely touch the back of the catcher's head with my outstretched arm... I've scooted back farther. I would have to lean ahead 4-6" to touch the back of the catcher's helmet. I'm not at a plate right now so I'm guessing that I am consistently 5.5 to 6 feet behind the tip of the plate.

Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on May 17th, 2004 at 09:55 AM]
Tony: What you're doing is adopting the Gerry Davis slot, which puts you at least twice as far back as the average umpire. This great view you're getting results from your distance behind the catcher. [Why did it take us (GD) so long to recognize the superiority of that position?]

NOW, quit "resting your hands lightly" and rest your weight on your knees.

You're only "half" there. (grin) You've got the view of the plate, but you're still using muscles to lock and load. Don't wait until the pitcher's in motion. Adopt the full set position well before he begins to deliver.

Try it. You're going to be oh, so happy that you did.