View Single Post
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

If you fear getting hurt again, maybe it's time to pack it in.

If you don't fear re-injury, but it's the physical pain that is bothering you.. have you done PT rehab and have you tried a variety of orthotics and stuck with an icing schedule a few times a day EVERY DAY for a few months? Once the season ended this year, it took about 6 weeks of icing (several times daily) before my achilles finally settled down.

Ever since I tore the left achilles 3 years ago playing basketball, my right achilles has developed tendinitis while officiating (unconsciously favoring the left one I'm sure). During the season, I use lots of ice, ibuprofen, some physical therapy and good orthotics.

The pain ranges from a 4 to a 8 (on a scale of 1 to 10), but fortunately the pain eases down to about a 2 or 3 once I get warmed up. I still move as good as always, but I sometimes ref the first couple minutes of a game while gritting my teeth until the pain starts to subside.

Those are my thoughts, but nobody on the board knows how much pain you have nor how worried you are about further injury. Only you can make that call.

Z