View Single Post
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Playing under Dizzy Dean Rules, Minor League (9-10)

Rules specify that runner cannot leave the base until the pitch has crossed the plate.

When is the runner "frozen" on the base?
Is it when the pitcher has the ball while on the rubber?
Is it when the runner ceases his advancement to the next base?
Is when the runner finally tires of tantalizing (by dancing off the base) the defensive players and returns to the base?
Is it when the runner is touching the base at the same time that the pitcher is on the rubber with the ball?
If the pitcher is on the rubber with the ball AND the runner has a lead but is not attempting to advance, does the runner have to go back to the base?

A related issue:
R3 when BR walks. The BR rounds first base and runs to second. How can defense stop the runner at first without giving R3 an easy attempt to steal home?
Must the BR stop at first if the pitcher has the ball on the rubber? (Dizzy Dean rules do not address this, although I have seen LL interpretations that the BR can still advance)
If the pitcher throws a pitch while the BR is between first and second, is the BR out for leaving the base before the pitch crosses the plate? And what are the criteria for a legal pitch? I understand that the catcher has to be ready, but what about the batter and umpire? And if the umpire isn't ready, why is the ball still live?

I have tried to sort this out, but haven't found much help.