View Single Post
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your replies . This board is an excellent learning resource for newer officials such as myself (Not too bad for older officials either)because we can learn a lot from those of you who have lived through a lot of these situations .
After the game that I mentioned I really was pissed off because of the way the coaches and parents acted and I really questioned why I was giving up my weekends to ref basketball (Aside from the fact that I didn't have to tend to my "Honey Do" list at home because I was out "working"). Then something happened in the last game that really made me smile . The coach was whining about some calls (nothing major but a bit annoying) and before I was able to give him the "enough" sign his team was taking the ball out of bounds tableside and his player turned to him and said " Dad, be quiet we are trying to have fun out here and you are really being inmature !" and this was a 15 year old girl . Didn't hear another word from the coach for the rest of the game and I left with a smile and a desire to return to another tourney next weekend !
As for my initial post...I will not rub the fact that I was right asking the Asst coach to zip it (Never had a problem with an Asst before) . When the Head Coach tells me I was wrong again (and he will )I will just reference the aforementioned rules pertaining to bench conduct and be on my merry way.....although it will be tough not to say "I told you so" I will be the bigger person .
Mark- great read on finding out who the head coach is before every game (Sometimes it's tough in AAU). I made it a point to find out every game after the issue I had